Monday, August 9, 2010

MIA phone



Hey all,

There is this charming and extremely fey fashion designer from Texas in my class – last week he was a great comfort to me for three days as in addition to being camp he is also dyslexic and was the only person in class who was (possibly) more clueless than me, although it is a very near thing. Then he did not show up on Thursday or Friday and we all assumed he had dropped out. But no, he is back again today, and once again there is someone in the class who is very slightly more lost and confused than I am. So a bit of a win there.

I was mildly OK this morning, by which I mean that I was completely lost for only half of the two morning classes – the fruit of eight hours study on the weekend, I suppose. But this afternoon was another thing altogether. There are a whole bunch of words – seven of one sort, eight of another – I am unclear on what to call them yet – the teacher assured us she would explain tomorrow. But anyway, it is not just a case of memorising just those 15 words, and where to use them. Instead of combining them as we would, for example, with a phrase like “as we”, they have special words for each combination, which means 15 words plus 8x7=56 words. This is so they don't always have to say two words, like don't instead of do not. But they really do take it to extremes. “Trust the Italians to make things extremely difficult by being lazy,” I said, and the people who understood English laughed – fortunately the teacher did not.

In other news, at lunchtime I realised I could not find my phone. Hoped that I had left it at home, but no, could not find it here – called myself using skype and it rang out. Bugger. Hopefully it will show up at the school tomorrow – will ask the secretaries who now think I am lovely, not a pain in the neck at all, purely because my girlfriend understands their pain. But I don't have much hope for the phone. This is annoying – it was pre-paid, so I can't have my bill blown out, but I would rather not buy another, and before I left I spent a full two days online, um, “finding” a copy of Scrabble that would run on it. Annoying.

Photos – 20EU worth of groceries. And then what I will be doing for the next three hours.

Cheers, B.

No comments:

Post a Comment