Friday, August 27, 2010

Last Day of School








Hey all,

Last day at the school. Went okay and wish I had have been in a more suitable class to start with – I left a heap of books at the school so I have less to carry on my planned walk in Corsica and/or Sardinia. Another three days in Florence while I get a bit organised and do a bit of research with where I should go, what I need to take etc. etc. Anyway – had dinner with opera singer and Norwegian psychologist/poker player – was a really nice meal at some restaurant that one of the teachers had told opera singer about – where the locals go when they want a treat – expensive, but good food. There were a lot of people there, but I think we were the only tourists – was in this piazza that was a bit strange in that it had a whole bunch of pricey restaurants around the edge, and then in the middle it seemed to be where all the homeless of the city congregate. Saw one guy diving into a dumpster and pulling out a cardboard box, carefully tearing it up to make a flat panel – tonight's bed I suppose. Also saw my favourite homeless guy – the one with the dog I took a photo of a week or two ago. The first time I saw him he was pushing the dog around in a pram. This time he had a shopping trolley. He wandered past with a serious expression on his face while the little dog reclined at its ease on a pile of cardboard and a couple of old cushions in the trolley. I don't think it walks much – gets pushed around everywhere and fed by its owner to the point where it is too pudgy to move anyway.

We were seated in one of those pavement areas which is fenced off – was crowded and tightly packed – after dinner felt like a cigar so got up and wandered out of the enclosure into the Piazza to smoke it. This created a bit of a scandal – as soon as the people at the table next to us realised what I was up to they started gesticulating, calling me back “This is Italy! You can smoke here – please – we don't mind. Come back.” Got to love a country where people will get upset with you when you don't smoke a cigar while they are eating – I can forgive the fact that they can't make pocket-knives that don't fall apart in your pocket for that alone. There was a statue in the Piazza – someone had climbed up and given the bearded individual red lipstick, which I thought was pretty funny but did not get a photo of.

Photos – an efficient German student catching up on homework. How much he will retain of it this way is another question. Somewhat worryingly, he is also a medical student. Walking to dinner down an alley. Then anti-pasta, followed by my main (rabbit) and the main that opera singer and Norwegian shrink shared. I can't remember what it was called but think it translated literally to something like “We cook an entire cow, cut it in half with a chainsaw, then give you one of the pieces.” To get an idea of how thick it is - have a look at the regular size lemon on the plate. Then Another of the Ponte Vecchio, and then the Piazza that has the statue of Dante in it – off to the left of the church.

Cheers, B.


No comments:

Post a Comment