Monday, August 23, 2010

Location


Hey all,

trying to figure out what to do at the end of this week. Don't want to waste all my money trying to learn Italian for months and see nowhere else, on the other hand, if I give it away at the end of this month then I will forget it all immediately and pretty much have wasted my money anyway. Heading towards the idea of spending a couple of weeks (2-4) walking in Sardinia - Corsica is supposed to be even prettier, but Sardinia is part of Italy so I will hopefully pick up a bit more language there. Maybe even both - they are close enough. Then I might do Italian again for another two weeks or month somewhere else that is a bit cheaper to live than Firenze. Anyway, kind of like the idea of going for a walk for two or three weeks - I don't think it is like going for a walk for two or three weeks in Australia, where you take that much food with you (and/or bury some part way), then hope like hell that there is water where there is supposed to be; and where if you get lost then maybe they'll find a fragment of your jawbone in a decade or two. From what I have read so far it seems that walking here you can take a day or two's worth of food, buy it at the places you stay for the night - as far as I can tell even camping during the night is more-or-less optional. I think. I have seen "Man vs Wild" though, so even if I do get lost I know that all I have to do is find a deadly snake, kill it with a rock, peel off the skin, eat the carcass raw, fill the skin up with my own urine and tie it around my neck, then later on drink it, make a surprised face and say something you really wouldn't see coming, like (from memory) "Ugh! Tastes like piss and snake guts!" Anyway, still looking into it and what the situation with internet is like and whether I could get one of those wireless dongles that work through cell networks. Got to lighten my gear considerably though.

Photo. I spent two weeks wondering where the Medici Chapel was. On the left is the wall I have lunch against most days. You'd never guess what the little dome at the end of the wall is. So - me walking in the wilds for a couple of weeks... what's the worst that could happen, really?

Cheers, B.

No comments:

Post a Comment