Monday, September 13, 2010

GR20 – Day 9. To Vizzavona.









Today's stage was, in terms of this route, a hardish one, but not psychotic. However, I kept having to make unscheduled stops to dart into the bushes – not surprising, given the hygiene of the last refuge – which made it a very hard day. What should have been a difficult climb first thing in the morning for two hours, turned into over three and a half, and felt like at least five. Then there was the descent, which went on until about 5:30. After breakfast I ate nothing during the walk apart from some bread and dried apples – easy on the stomach but nowhere near rich enough for this amount of effort. So was pretty cactus by the time I finally pulled up.

Was planning a rest day tomorrow anyway, but will probably have to be two – am out of cash. Supposed to be spending the night at this little village Vizzavona – but they have no teller machines there, so took a chance and went straight to the train station to see if I could get a train to Corte that evening – I got there at 5:45 and as it turned out a train left at 6:00. So am now finally in a not too expensive hotel in Corte – walked around once I got here for nearly two hours looking for somewhere that was not too expensive – finally found a place, but unfortunately only have it for the night. Will get up tomorrow, find another hotel, do a bit of shopping, do some more work on the blisters – get cashed up then get the train back to Vizzavona the following day. Start all over again.

Speaking of the hygiene of the last refuge – the same disgusting oaf who washed his ass crack at the potable water source, rather than in the shower block 10 meters from it; this morning he had a piss right beside the spring. He would have been able to walk to the toilet in less time than it took him to find it and get it out of his pants. I hope he is going in the other direction so I don't have to see the cretin again. And I hope he falls off a cliff.

I still can't figure out how to recharge the internet stick thing. Waste of money I think. But online at the hotel – I actually hugged the guy when the password worked. Skype to K, face to face for the first time in over a week, spoke to Mum and Dad, spoke to Grandma, posted a heap of blogs. Getting late now, and I have to check out in the morning, find another hotel, so might sign off for now – not that I will post this now anyway, but... starting to ramble.

Photos: 1, 2. The climb up this morning had its attractions, despite being crook. 3, 4. One of these is to the north, the other to the south. But I forget which is which – either way – I have just walked over one of them, and will be walking over the other in the next week or so. 5-8. Would have been plenty of opportunity for another rock-pool experience, but I wasn't up to it, this place is a little too accessible (lots of day trippers) and, most importantly, I am out of cigars :(

Cheers, B.

No comments:

Post a Comment